Mark Ranum, 2013 Legislative Chair, is now taking registrations for Library Legislative Day. Details below and the link for registration is at the bottom.
2013 MLA/MEMO Library Legislative Day
The 2013 MLA/MEMO Library Legislative Day is an opportunity for library advocates (you, your staff and board, your patrons, other library lovers) to gather at the Minnesota State Capitol to show support and raise awareness of issues for libraries.
Attendees should make appointments to meet as many of their Representatives and Senators as possible to remind them of the importance of libraries to the success of the communities in their district. The MLA/MEMO Platform and accompanying Talking Points will be available to help guide attendees in their advocacy.
More than anything, legislators need to see that their constituents value libraries and be reminded that they should, too.
2013 event features:
- Price: Acknowledging the pinch on personal and organizational budgets these days, there is NO REGISTRATION FEE. The meeting includes a briefing the evening before. We hope that having no fee will encourage a large turnout—especially critical in this time when money is scarce.
- Lunch: Lunch is on your own. There are several venues within easy reach of the Capitol building, including the Sweetwater Grille & Bar in the Kelly Inn and fast food restaurants. Many buildings in the Capitol complex have their own cafeterias. The Capitol cafeteria is in the basement and is closed when the Legislature is not in session. The Transportation and Centennial Building cafeterias are on the ground floor of each building. The Veterans Service Building cafeteria is on the fifth floor. Menus are available online. The Capitol also has a snack bar on the second floor (where the House and Senate chambers are located) during the session.
- Location: This year, the meeting will again be at the Best Western Kelly Inn St. Paul Hotel (161 Saint Anthony Ave, St. Paul, MN 55103).
- Lodging: Save time and stay overnight at the Best Western Kelly Inn St. Paul Hotel. There is a small block of rooms being held for our group. Please contact the Best Western Kelly Inn St. Paul Hotel at 651-227-8711. Reference the 2013 MLA/MEMO Library Legislative Day to get the best rate.
- Parking: Parking at the Best Western Kelly Inn St. Paul is free and on a first come, first served basis.
There are many advocacy groups that legislators hear from. If libraries are not well represented, funding may go elsewhere. Please register now and join us.
2013 Legislative Chair
5:00pm on Tuesday, March 5, 2013
4:00pm on Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Tuesday, March 5, 2013 (St. Anthony Room)
5:30–6:30pm Legislative Briefing (hors d’oeuvres will be served)
Wednesday, March 6, 2013 (Sibly Room)
9:00–10:00am Legislative Briefing (repeat of Tuesday)
10:00am–4:00pm 2013 MLA/MEMO Library Legislative Day
161 Saint Anthony Ave
St. Paul, MN 55103
See map: Google Maps
– FREE for MEMO and MLA members
11:59pm on Friday, March 1, 2013
LINK: REGISTER HERE!