The great thing about a new year is the number of booklists that come out in the first few months! YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Association) is a division of ALA (American Library Association) and releases its Best Fiction for Young Adults list annually. This year, 58 titles were selected from 113 nominations. The recipients are books recommended for ages 12-18, and “meet the criteria of both quality literature and appeal to teens” (ALA press release). Here are the committee’s Top Ten books from the list:
- The Carnival at Bray by Jessie Ann Foley, Elephant Rock Books, 2014.
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014.
- The Gospel of Winter by Kiely Brendan, Simon & Schuster/Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2014.
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson, Penguin Group (USA)/Dial Books, 2014.
- Jackaby by William Ritter, Algonquin Books for Young Readers, 2014.
- Noggin by John Corey Whaley, Simon & Schuster/Atheneum Books, 2014.
- The Story of Owen Dragonslayer of Trondheim by E.K. Johnston, Carolrhoda LAB, 2014.
- Vango by Timothee de Fombelle, Candlewick Press, 2014.
- We Were Liars by e. lockhart, Delacorte Press, 2014.
- The Young Elites by Marie Lu, Penguin Group (USA)/G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 2014.
These are just ten of the 58 titles on the booklist – check out all 58 here!
This booklist is a part of the 2015 ALA Book Awards.
Image credit: http://tinyurl.com/o3l8rjk, licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0