We just passed the Chinese New Year, so Chinese literature may be fresh in your mind! (Happy year of the Rooster, everyone!) Have you read an interesting book about China? The Chinese American Library Association (CALA) would like to hear about it!
The annual CALA Best Book Award recognizes outstanding books, published in English or Chinese, which exhibit excellence in addressing topics about China and written by Chinese authors (or Chinese descent). The Award is to raise awareness of these topics and authors in North America.
The Committee will select nominated books in the following categories: Fiction, Nonfiction, Juvenile/Young adult (age 12-18), and Children (under age 12). Each award author(s) will receive an award certificate and be presented at CALA Annual Award Banquet in June 2017. The winners will be announced before early bird registration deadline for 2017 ALA Annual conference.
- Related to Chinese culture heritage or topics about China, and written by Chinese authors or of Chinese descent.
- Published between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016 by a publishing house, trade or small press/publisher located in North America.
- Written in Chinese or English. This requirement does not limit the use of words or phrases in another language where appropriate in context. Translations of original works may be considered.
- Anthologies by more than one author.
- Reprints of books originally published prior to the current award year.
- Self-published works.
In the event of a dispute as to eligibility, the Award Committee will decide whether a book is eligible, and its decision will be binding.
- Entries may be submitted by an author, publisher, agent, publicist or any individual.
- Nominations must be submitted through the Best Book Award Nomination Form by March 1, 2017.
- An author, publisher, publicist, agent or individual may submit more than one entry per author,but not more than one entry per book.
- It is encouraged to mail books of entry to the Best Book Award Committee, with three copies, one copy each to committee members for according categories. All nominated books must be postmarked by March 1st, 2017. Please send books as early as possible. The Award Committee are not obligated to consider books which arrive after March 1, 2017.
- Book packages must be clearly marked with “CALA Best Book Award.”
- Upon receipt of an entry, the Award Committee will notify the submitter via email. The Award Committee is not responsible for lost submissions.
- Please mail books of entry to the following address:
|Fiction / Non-Fiction||Juvenile & Young Adults / Children’s|
|Reviewer 1||Xiying Mi
10205 Deercliff Dr.
Madonna University Library
36600 Schoolcraft Rd.
Livonia, MI 48150
|Reviewer 2||Haiwang Yuan
706 Cravens Library
184 Callan Ave. #207,
San Leandro, CA 94577
|Reviewer 3||Jingjing Wu
Box 40002, Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX 79409
CS1-E, Frank Melville Jr. memorial Library
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794