May 11, 2017 live, and available as a recording later
“In this webinar, learn strategies from two LJ Movers & Shakers who help new immigrants feel welcomed by library and community.
There is much more to supporting immigrants and refugees than hanging out a “welcome” sign at your library. Successful programs and services are specifically tailored to meet the needs of the range of populations who may come through your doors. Hear from Movers & Shakers who work with communities to empower vulnerable and often underserved populations with a sense of belonging and self-reliance. Learn innovative approaches to identifying and celebrating immigrant leaders; how to foster networking between native-born and newcomer populations and between immigrant groups of varying national origins; how to highlight immigrant-positive narratives; and more. You’ll be sure to find practical ideas among the multi-pronged strategies that these librarians have used to ensure that new immigrants really do feel welcomed by the library and the community.
This webinar is part of a series highlighting the work of recent LJ Movers & Shakers and is hosted in collaboration with Library Journal.
Presented by: Will Chan, Director of Economic Mobility for North Denver Cornerstone Collaborative and the National Western Center, City and County of Denver, and 2016 Mover & Shaker; Jamie Torres, Deputy Director of Human Rights and Community Partnerships and the Director of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs, City and County of Denver; and Sophie Maier, Immigrant Services Librarian, Louisville Free Public Library, and 2017 Mover & Shaker.
- View Webinar Recording (Coming Soon)
- View slides (pdf) (Coming Soon)
- View chat (xls) (Coming Soon)
- View captions (txt) (Coming Soon)
- Learner Guide (doc) Use alone or with others to extend your learning. (Coming Soon)
- 2016 Library Journal Movers & Shakers
- 2017 Library Journal Movers & Shakers
- Will Chan’s 2016 Mover & Shaker feature
- Sophie Maier’s 2016 Mover & Shaker feature
- Other webinars in the Movers & Shakers series: