This is a solicitation for ideas from a library listserve; we are posting the initial question, and a few suggestions received. Have you done this kind of program? Share some ideas with us in the comments!
“I am doing an edible architecture program at my branch next month for children and families. I am brainstorming edible supplies that I could add to this program. I am dry to stay with dry goods and not use fresh fruits/vegetables for the sake of ease and prep time. Some of the supplies I am considering:
- Ice cream cones – cake and sugar
- Pretzels – rods and sticks
- Graham Crackers
- Wafer Cookies
- Fruit Loops
- Royal icing
- Sugar cubes are great building blocks, plus raw spaghetti with mini marshmallows!
- Twizzlers can be used in many different ways!
Mini shredded wheats.Granola bars.
- Swedish berries and gummies of all sorts work well. We have used raw pasta as connectors.
- Skittles, gum drops, M & M’s are all good for decorations
What else have you tried?
How do you work around food allergies?
What kind of food prep rules are in effect in your library?