This coming weekend is going to be a big one! After you celebrate Earth Day on Saturday, you can look forward to celebrating books on Sunday, which is World Book Day! As library people, not only do we love books ourselves, but we love to share our love of books with others, and this is a great day to do that!
World Book Day was created in 1995 at UNESCO’s General Conference, “to pay a world-wide tribute to books and authors on this date, encouraging everyone, and in particular young people, to discover the pleasure of reading and gain a renewed respect for the irreplaceable contributions of those, who have furthered the social and cultural progress of humanity.”
Here are some suggestions for celebrating World Book Day:
- Amazon is participating with their page promoting the day and featuring links to charitable organizations that provide books.
- You can also use the hashtag #LoveToRead to share your book happy moments on social media!
- Check out these awesome and adorable World Book Day costumes (or make your own!)
- Play this free printable World Book Day Game (aimed at kids but could still be fun!)
- Or simply curl up with a good book and enjoy! 🙂