Chicago—ALA Editions announces a new iteration of our popular eCourse, Being Indispensable: A School Librarian’s Guide to Proving Your Value and Keeping Your Job. Hilda K. Weisburg will serve as the instructor for a 6-week facilitated eCourse starting on July 10, 2017.
Estimated Hours of Learning: 30
Certificate of Completion available upon request.
School librarians are worried about their jobs, and with good reason. Budget cuts have taken many jobs, and those who have retained their jobs find their resources stretched thin. In this eCourse, respected authority Weisburg gives school librarians concrete strategies for demonstrating and proving their worth through clear, focused leadership.
Showing you how to focus and strengthen your programs and articulate those strategies in ways that build support for yourself and your library within your institution, she leaves no stone unturned. This eCourse teaches you how to lead; how to identify the people you need to influence; and how to influence them on paper, in person, and during meetings.
- Making the case for the vital role school librarians play in learning
- Identifying your mission/vision in order to focus your program and be able to prioritize efficiently
- Building a solid base of support among stakeholders who hold the power over your future
- Creating and preparing to carry out plans targeted to strengthen your programs
Part 1: Positioning Yourself
- Qualities of a leader (your strengths and weaknesses)
- Mission and vision statements
- Core values and tag lines
Part 2: Reaching the Power Stakeholders
- Connecting with administrators (superintendent, principals, BOE, and the central office)
- Connecting with the community (parents, business owners, the public library, and others)
Part 3: Reaching Priority Stakeholders
- Connecting/cooperating/collaborating with teachers
- Becoming indispensable to students Continue reading New eCourse: Being Indispensable: A School Librarian’s Guide to Proving Your Value and Keeping Your Job