Each month we’ll bring you a compiled list of fun national holidays, birthdays of authors, and publication dates of favorite books. You can use these for your own personal use or for some library inspiration!
September is Self Improvement Month!
Other things to celebrate in September…
If you might like to celebrate Christmas in July, this page from the site Library Thing could inspire you! (It really happens in December, but if you want to start a Secret Santa program in your library – we support you!)
SantaThing is LibraryThing’s Secret Santa for book lovers. This is our TENTH annual SantaThing!
Join LibraryThing to participate in SantaThing!
How it works
- Become a Secret Santa. Choose your gift level ($15–50) and bookstore, such as Powell’s, Amazon, and others.LibraryThing takes no “cut.” If you pay $30, you get $30 worth of books (plus shipping at some sellers).You can sign up for yourself, or make this a gift for a friend on or off LibraryThing.
- We choose a LibraryThing member to be your “Santee,” the person you’ll be buying for. We try to match up members with similar tastes in books.
- You pick books for your Santee.
- LibraryThing elves order the books and the books are shipped directly to your Santee. Only LibraryThing and the bookseller see your address.
- You receive a package with the books from your Secret Santa—and rejoice!
Even if you don’t want to be a Santa, you can help by suggesting books for others. Click on a member’s name to leave a suggestion.
Check out the SantaThing Help page, join the discussion on Talk, or email lorannelibrarything.com. See the blog post for more information.
Sunday, December 4th at 5pm Eastern. Sign-up ends. Secret Santas are chosen, profile messages are sent to the Secret Santa, and you can then enter your gift choices.
Monday, December 12th at 1pm EST (18:00 GMT). After the weekend, gift picking ends. LibraryThing sends the order via eight tiny ponies to the bookstore you chose.
Join LibraryThing to become a Santa.